There are a number of benefits that the beneficiary of a fallen firefighter receive as a direct result of lobbying efforts of the IAFF, VPFF, and Local 995.
- The Federal Public Safety Officer’s Benefit awards $333,604.68 as of 2014
- The City of Richmond Group Life Insurance awards (4X) that firefighter's salary at the time of death if deemed accidental. (Policy held through Virginia Retirement System)
- The City of Richmond awards $1000
- Every member of Local 995 has a $10,000 life insurance policy.
- The Virginia Line of Duty Act awards $100,000 to your benefactor in a Line of Duty death.
- Also Virginia awards 66 2/3 % of weekly wages for 500 weeks, $10,000 in burial benefits, $1000 for transportation of deceased.
- Virginia Public Safety Foundation provides an immediate $2000.
- Free tuition for any undergraduate program at any public institution of higher learning in VA for spouse or surviving children.
- Hometown Heroes Survivor Benefits Act: presumption that a public safety officer who suffers a fatal heart attack or stroke for up to 24 hours after being on-duty, doing non-routine stressful or strenuous physical activity or training or has died as a direct and proximate result of a personal injury sustained in the line of duty is eligible for Hometown Heroes benefits.
- Under Virginia Worker’s Compensation Act the surviving spouse shall receive a 100% survivor’s allowance monthly for life (except for remarriage) commencing on the first day of the month following the member’s death. The survivor’s allowance will be computed as if the member remained in service and retired upon reaching age 65. (Only for a Line of Duty Death)
- Lastly remember there are Presumptive Benefits. These include: hypertension or heart disease or pancreatic, prostate, rectal, throat, ovarian or breast cancer, Hepatitis, meningococcal meningitis, tuberculosis or HIV, (must be documented exposures). It is presumed that if a firefighter develops any of these they are a direct result of being a firefighter.
Page Last Updated: Nov 12, 2014 (07:10:03)